December 21, 2014
Release # 20141221
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
U.S. and partner nation military forces continued to attack ISIL
terrorists in Syria Dec. 21 using fighter and bomber aircraft to conduct
three airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and partner nation military forces
conducted thirteen airstrikes in Iraq Dec. 21 using fighter, bomber, and
attack aircraft against the ISIL terrorists.
The following is a summary of those strikes:
Near Kobani, three airstrikes destroyed an ISIL staging position and
two ISIL fighting positions and struck two ISIL fighting positions.
Near Sinjar, four airstrikes destroyed an ISIL building, an ISIL mortar
position and three ISIL tactical vehicles and struck a large ISIL unit
and two ISIL tactical units.
* Near Bayji, two airstrikes destroyed three ISIL buildings and struck a large and a tactical ISIL unit.
* Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes destroyed two ISIL VBIED.
* Near Ramadi, two airstrikes destroyed three ISIL vehicles and struck a large ISIL unit and a tactical ISIL unit.
* Near Mosul, an airstrike destroyed three ISIL bunkers and struck three ISIL bunkers.
* Near Al Qaim, an airstrike struck an ISIL building.
* Near al Asad, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical vehicle.
All aircraft returned to base safely. Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports.
strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the
operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose
to Iraq, the region and the wider international community. The
destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the
terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S.,
Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands and the United
Kingdom. Coalition Nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the
U.S., Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.