Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
U.S. Central Command
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
REQUEST A SPEAKER
REQUEST A COLOR GUARD
Press Release View
July 28: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-284 July 28, 2017
July 28, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On July 27, Coalition military forces conducted 21 strikes consisting of 25 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 17 strikes consisting of 20 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, three strikes destroyed two ISIS oil storage tanks, two oil trailers, an oil refinement still, and a well-head.
* Near Al Shadaddi, one strike destroyed an ISIS tunnel.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, five strikes destroyed 18 ISIS oil refinement stills and three well-heads and suppressed a supply route.
* Near Raqqah, eight strikes engaged four ISIS tactical units and destroyed six fighting positions, a supply cache, an ISIS communication headquarters, and an anti-air artillery system.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted four strikes consisting of five engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Baghdad, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit.
* Near Rawah, one strike destroyed an ISIS chemical storage site.
* Near Tal Afar, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed four fighting positions and a supply cache.
Additionally, 24 strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on July 26 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On July 26, near Al Qaim, Iraq, two strikes destroyed two ISIS VBIED factories and a front-end loader and damaged a crane and a front-end loader.
* On July 26, near Raqqah, Syria, 18 strikes engaged 12 ISIS tactical units; destroyed eight fighting positions, two command and control nodes, an IED facility, a supply cache, and a logistics node; and suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
* On July 26, near Tal Afar, Iraq, four strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units; destroyed an ISIS-held building, a vehicle, a front-end loader, and a supply cache; and suppressed a mortar team.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.