Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
REQUEST A SPEAKER
REQUEST A COLOR GUARD
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
Press Release View
July 27: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-282 July 27, 2017
July 27, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On July 26, Coalition military forces conducted 22 strikes consisting of 35 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 18 strikes consisting of 21 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, two strikes destroyed an ISIS financial exchange facility and a VBIED factory.
* Near Al Shadaddi, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, three strikes destroyed three ISIS well-heads.
* Near Raqqah, 12 strikes engaged eight ISIS tactical units and destroyed five vehicles, four fighting positions, three supply caches, a command and control node and an ISIS communications facility.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted four strikes consisting of 14 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Qaim, one strike destroyed an ISIS weapons cache.
* Near Mosul, one strike illuminated an area.
* Near Rawah, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a malfunctioning piece of Coalition equipment and a vehicle.
Additionally, 16 strikes were conducted in Syria on July 20, July 21, July 23 and July 25 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On July 20, near Raqqah, one strike destroyed six fighting positions and suppressed a mortar team.
* On July 21, near Raqqah, one strike destroyed 14 fighting positions and suppressed a mortar team.
* On July 23, near Raqqah, two strikes damaged nine fighting positions.
* On July 25, near Raqqah, 12 strikes engaged seven ISIS tactical units and destroyed five mortar positions, a VBIED storage facility, a VBIED, and ISIS equipment.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.