Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
REQUEST A SPEAKER
REQUEST A COLOR GUARD
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
Press Release View
July 10: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-261 July 10, 2017
July 10, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On July 9, Coalition military forces conducted 22 strikes consisting of 59 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 16 strikes consisting of 23 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, one strike destroyed an ISIS oil storage tank.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, four strikes destroyed 30 ISIS oil stills, four oil caches and a well-head.
* Near Raqqah, 11 strikes engaged nine ISIS tactical units and destroyed seven fighting positions, a weapons cache, a supply cache, an anti-air artillery system, a tunnel, and an ISIS communications tower.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted six strikes consisting of 36 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Bayji, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed two vehicles and a staging area.
* Near Fallujah, one strike destroyed an ISIS logistics center.
* Near Kisik, one strike suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
* Mosul, one strike engaged two ISIS tactical units; destroyed 11 fighting positions, 10 medium machine guns, a rocket-propelled grenade system, and a supply cache; and damaged a fighting position.
* Near Rawah, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit.
Additionally, nine strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on July 8 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On July 8, near Raqqah, Syria, eight strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units; destroyed four fighting positions, an anti-air artillery system, an ISIS radio tower, and communication equipment; and damaged a UAS facility.
* On July 8, near Mosul, Iraq, one strike engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed a heavy machine gun, a fighting position, a medium machine gun, and a sniper position.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.