Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
U.S. Central Command
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
REQUEST A SPEAKER
REQUEST A COLOR GUARD
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
Press Release View
July 6: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-256 July 6, 2017
July 6, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On July 5, Coalition military forces conducted 34 strikes consisting of 93 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 29 strikes consisting of 33 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Shadaddi, two strikes destroyed five ISIS-held buildings, a command and control node and a VBIED facility.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, six strikes destroyed 34 ISIS oil barrels, eight oil stills, five construction items, five oil trucks, four front-end loaders, three oil storage tanks, an oil distillation tank and a well-head.
* Near Raqqah, 21 strikes engaged 15 ISIS tactical units and destroyed 13 fighting positons, two vehicles, two heavy machine guns, a front-end loader, a UAV site and a sniper position.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted five strikes consisting of 60 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Bayji, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed two staging areas and a vehicle.
* Near Mosul, three strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units; destroyed 19 fighting positions, 15 medium machine guns, three staging areas, three IEDs, an excavator, a mortar system, a rocket-propelled grenade system, and a supply cache; and damaged three fighting positions.
* Near Rawah, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a staging area, a vehicle storage facility, a weapons cache, and a vehicle.
Additionally, 14 strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on July 3-4 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On July 3, near Raqqah, Syria, one strike destroyed eight ISIS fighting positions and a VBIED factory and damaged 10 fighting positions.
* On July 4, near Al Hawl, Syria, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a command and control node and a staging area.
* On July 4, near Dayr Az Zawr, Syria, five strikes destroyed four ISIS oil separators, four oil storage tanks, two well-heads, two oil pipe junctions, an oil still and a refinery.
* On July 4, near Raqqah, Syria, four strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed a vehicle, a VBIED and an IED.
* On July 4, near Mosul, Iraq, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit, destroyed two mortar systems and damaged five supply routes.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.