Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
U.S. Central Command
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
REQUEST A SPEAKER
REQUEST A COLOR GUARD
Press Release View
June 27: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-244 June 27, 2017
June 27, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On June 26, Coalition military forces conducted 31 strikes consisting of 45 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 27 strikes consisting of 39 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, one strike destroyed two ISIS well heads.
* Near Al Shadaddi, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle.
* Near Dawr Az Zawr, seven strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed three vehicles, a tactical vehicle, two bunkers, two pump jacks, a front-end loader, an IED factory, an ISIS financial facility, and an ISIS headquarters.
* Near Raqqah, 18 strikes engaged 15 ISIS tactical units; destroyed 13 fighting positions, two vehicles, a VBIED, a home-made explosives factory, and an ISIS headquarters; and damaged two fighting positions.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted four strikes consisting of six engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Bayji, three strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a tactical vehicle storage facility, a tactical vehicle and an ISIS fuel tanker.
* Near Tikrit, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit.
Additionally, 12 strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on June 25 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On June 25, near Al Shadaddi, Syria, four strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units; destroyed five ISIS-held buildings, three command and control nodes, a mortar system, and a fighting position; and damaged an ISIS-held building.
* On June 25, near Dayr az Zawr, one strike destroyed an ISIS-held building.
* On June 25, near Raqqah, Syria, four strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed three fighting positions and an ISIS headquarters.
* On June 25, near Mosul, Iraq, three strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units; destroyed 14 fighting positions, five weapons systems, three medium machine guns, three rocket-propelled grenade systems, two mortar systems, and a command and control node; and suppressed five mortar teams.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.