Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
REQUEST A SPEAKER
REQUEST A COLOR GUARD
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
Press Release View
May 5: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-172 May 5, 2017
May 5, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On May 4, Coalition military forces conducted 20 strikes consisting of 81 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 10 strikes consisting of 14 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, two strikes destroyed four ISIS well heads
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, one strike destroyed five ISIS oil storage tanks and three ISIS oil distillation tanks.
* Near Palmyra, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit.
* Near Raqqah, three strikes destroyed a front-end loader and an ISIS well head.
* Near Tabqah, three strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed two fighting positons and a vehicle.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted 10 strikes consisting of 67 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Qaim, one strike destroyed a front-end loader.
* Near Kirkuk, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a fighting position.
* Near Mosul, seven strikes engaged seven ISIS tactical units and a sniper team; destroyed nine mortar systems, nine fighting positions, two heavy machine guns, two tactical vehicles, two ISIS-held buildings, an anti-air artillery system, an artillery system, a command and control node, a VBIED, an ISIS bridge, a front-end loader, a weapons cache, a rocket system a VBIED factory; damaged 23 ISIS supply routes, three fighting positions; and suppressed six mortar teams.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit.
Additionally, two strikes were conducted in Syria on May 2nd that closed within the last 24 hours.
* Near Al Shadaddi, Syria, on May 3rd, on strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed an ISIS-held building.
* Near Tabqah, Syria, on May 3rd, one strike destroyed a fighting position.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.