Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
U.S. Central Command
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
REQUEST A SPEAKER
REQUEST A COLOR GUARD
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
Press Release View
March 11: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-098 March 11, 2017
March 11, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On Mar. 10, Coalition military forces conducted 28 strikes consisting of 111 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 19 strikes consisting of 25 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed two pieces of engineering equipment and a vehicle.
* Near Ar Raqqah, nine strikes, engaged three ISIS tactical units; destroyed four fighting positions, two ISIS-held buildings, two watercraft, two weapons factories, a tunnel, a vehicle, and a VBIED; and damaged a supply route.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, eight strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit; destroyed two well heads; and damaged four supply routes and a crane.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted nine strikes consisting of 86 engagements coordinated with and in support of the government of Iraq against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Asad, one strike destroyed two tactical vehicles.
* Near Bayji, one strike suppressed an ISIS heavy machine gun team.
* Near Kirkuk, one strike destroyed a vehicle and a mortar system.
* Near Kisik, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle, an ISIS-held building, and a mortar system.
* Near Mosul, four strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units, an ISIS heavy machine gun team and an ISIS sniper team; destroyed six fighting positions, two heavy machine guns, two rocket-propelled grenade systems, two VBIEDs, two VBIED factories, two mortar systems, a command and control node, a tactical vehicle, a roadblock, a supply cache, and an ISIS-held building; damaged eight supply routes and an ISIS-held building; and suppressed 17 ISIS mortar teams and ten ISIS tactical units.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike destroyed a VBIED and weapons cache.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and some ground based tactical artillery when fired on planned targets. Ground-based artillery fired in counter-fire or in fire support to maneuver roles are not classified as a strike as defined by CJTF-OIR.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.