September 28, 2015,
Release # 20150928-01
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Sept. 27, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted three airstrikes using remotely piloted and fighter aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 20 airstrikes coordinated with and in support of the Government of Iraq using bomber, fighter, fighter-attack, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
* Near Abu Kamal, one airstrike struck an ISIL training area.
* Near Ar Raqqah, one airstrike resulted in inconclusive results.
* Near Mar'a, one airstrike suppressed an ISIL mortar system.
* Near Al Huwayjah, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL checkpoint and an ISIL bunker.
* Near Bayji, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building and two ISIL caches.
* Near Habbaniyah, two airstrikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed four ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL weapons cache, and an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Kirkuk, three airstrikes struck three separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL fighting position.
* Near Mosul, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL tunnel, and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
* Near Ramadi, four airstrikes struck a large ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building, four ISIL fighting positions, three ISIL boats, an ISIL home-made explosive cache, and an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed four ISIL fighting positions.
* Near Sultan Abdallah, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL fighting position and suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
* Near Tal Afar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
Strike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and the United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and the U.S.