Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
REQUEST A SPEAKER
REQUEST A COLOR GUARD
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
Press Release View
August 2: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-289 Aug. 2, 2017
August 2, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On Aug. 1, Coalition military forces conducted 12 strikes consisting of 16 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted nine strikes consisting of 10 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, one strike destroyed three ISIS well-heads.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, one strike destroyed an ISIS oil refinery.
* Near Raqqah, seven strikes engaged four ISIS tactical units and destroyed four fighting positions, two ISIS headquarters, an IED, an ammunition cache, and a fuel supply point.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted three strikes consisting of six engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Huwayjah, one strike destroyed a piece of ISIS engineering equipment and a front-end loader.
* Near Rawah, one strike destroyed a VBIED.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed four front-end loaders, a supply cache and a command and control node.
Additionally, seven strikes consisting of 10 engagements were conducted in Syria and Iraq on July 30-31 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On July 30, near Raqqah, Syria, four strikes engaged four ISIS tactical units.
* On July 31, near Raqqah, Syria, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units.
* On July 31, near Kisik, Iraq, one strike illuminated an area.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.