Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
U.S. Central Command
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
REQUEST A SPEAKER
REQUEST A COLOR GUARD
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
Press Release View
May 7: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-174 May 7, 2017
May 7, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On May 6, Coalition military forces conducted 29 strikes consisting of 76 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 23 strikes consisting of 37 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, 10 strikes destroyed eight ISIS oil tankers, four ISIS well heads, two Unmanned Aerial System facilities and an ISIS barge.
* Near Palmyra, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit.
* Near Raqqah, three strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units; destroyed two vehicles, a front-end loader and a fighting position.
* Near Tabqah, nine strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units; destroyed four fighting positions, two tactical vehicles, a vehicle; and suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted six strikes consisting of 47 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Mosul, five strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units and a sniper team; destroyed three VBIED factories, three tactical vehicles, two fighting positions, two medium machine guns, two VBIEDs, a mortar system, an anti-air artillery system, a VBIED facility, a rocket-propelled grenade system, a VBIED staging area; and damaged four fighting positions and four ISIS supply routes.
* Near Rawah, one strike destroyed a tactical vehicle.
Additionally, seven strikes were conducted in Syria on May 3rd and May 5th that closed within the last 24 hours.
* Near Raqqah, May 3rd, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a mortar system.
* Near Tabqah, Syria, May 3rd, three strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit; destroyed two VBIEDs, and two fighting positon.
* Near Dawr Az Zawr, Syria, May 5th, one strike destroyed six ISIS barges and a crane.
* Near Tabqah, Syria, May 5th, two strikes destroyed a fighting position.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.