Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
U.S. Central Command
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
REQUEST A SPEAKER
REQUEST A COLOR GUARD
Press Release View
April 24: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-157 April 24, 2017
April 24, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On April 23, Coalition military forces conducted 31 strikes consisting of 97 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 24 strikes consisting of 48 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, three strikes destroyed three ISIS well heads.
* Near Palmyra, two strikes destroyed four fighting positions and two ISIS shipping containers.
* Near Raqqah, seven strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units and destroyed three fighting positions, a heavy machine gun, a tactical vehicle, and an ISIS well head.
* Near Tabqah, 12 strikes engaged 10 ISIS tactical units and destroyed 12 fighting positions, one tactical vehicle, one ISIS vehicle, one heavy machine gun, and a command and control node.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted seven strikes consisting of 49 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Rawah, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed an ISIS staging area.
* Near Mosul, six strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units; destroyed 11 fighting positions, eight heavy machine guns, four rocket-propelled grenade systems, two ISIS-held buildings, one ISIS-held bridge, and a VBIED; damaged 14 ISIS supply routes and a fighting position; and suppressed four rocket teams, three mortar teams, and an ISIS tactical unit.
Additionally, three strikes were conducted in Syria from April 19-21 that have been closed within the last 24 hours.
* On April 19, near Raqqah, Syria, one strike damaged a command and control node.
* On April 20, near Raqqah, Syria, one strike suppressed two ISIS tactical units and damaged a fighting position.
* On Apr. 21, near Raqqah, Syria, one strike destroyed an IED factory and suppressed two ISIS tactical units.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.