Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
U.S. Central Command
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
REQUEST A SPEAKER
REQUEST A COLOR GUARD
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
Press Release View
April 23: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-156 April 23, 2017
April 23, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On April 22, Coalition military forces conducted 36 strikes consisting of 74 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 24 strikes consisting of 26 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, two strikes destroyed three ISIS well heads.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, four strikes destroyed 15 oil stills and five ISIS well heads.
* Near Raqqah, 10 strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit, destroyed 24 ISIS oil facility assets and a fighting position.
* Near Tabqah, eight strikes engaged six ISIS tactical units and destroyed five fighting positions and two IEDs.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted 12 strikes consisting of 48 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Kisik, one strike suppressed two mortar teams.
* Near Mosul, six strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units; destroyed six mortar systems, four fighting positions, four rocket-propelled grenade systems, three ISIS vehicles, two front-end loaders, two ISIS watercraft, one weapons cache, and a tunnel; damaged 11 ISIS supply routes and a fighting position; and suppressed two ISIS tactical units.
* Near Qayyrarah, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit.
* Near Rawah, three strikes destroyed eight weapons caches and two ISIS staging areas.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed an ISIS fuel truck.
Additionally, two strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq from April 20-21 that have been closed within the last 24 hours.
* On April 20, near Mosul, Iraq, one strike destroyed a rocket system.
* On April 21, near Tabqah, Syria, one strike suppressed an ISIS tactical unit
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.