Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
REQUEST A SPEAKER
REQUEST A COLOR GUARD
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
Press Release View
April 22: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-155 April 22, 2017
April 22, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On April 21, Coalition military forces conducted 45 strikes consisting of 91 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 37 strikes consisting of 39 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, 10 strikes destroyed 16 ISIS oil equipment items, five ISIS storage tanks, four ISIS well heads and three ISIS oil pumps.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, three strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit; and destroyed three storage tanks and three well heads.
* Near Al Shadadi, one strike destroyed a weapons cache.
* Near Raqqah, 15 strikes engaged four ISIS tactical units and destroyed a fighting position, an ISIS bridge, a command and control node, and a mortar system.
* Near Tabqah, eight strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units and destroyed three fighting positions, an ISIS vehicle and a command and control node.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted eight strikes consisting of 52 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Mosul, seven strikes engaged eight ISIS tactical units; destroyed six fighting positions, two VBIEDs, two mortar systems, two tactical vehicles, a weapons cache, a front-end loader, a rocket-propelled grenade system and an ISIS warehouse; damaged 22 ISIS supply routes and two fighting positions; and suppressed an ISIS tactical unit and rocket team.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike destroyed a tactical vehicle and a weapons cache.
Additionally, nine strikes were conducted in Syria from April 19-20 that have been closed within the last 24 hours.
* On April 19, near Raqqah, eight strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit; destroyed four fighting positions and a VBIED factory; and damaged four ISIS supply routes.
* On April 20, near Tabqah, one strike destroyed a command and control node.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.