June 20, 2015
Release # 20150620
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA - Coalition
military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq
June 19. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted six airstrikes
using attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft. Separately
in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 16 airstrikes approved by
the Iraqi Ministry of Defense using attack, fighter and remotely piloted
aircraft against ISIL terrorists.
"A coalition airstrike hit a
Daesh checkpoint near Al Qaim, Iraq," said Col. Wayne Marotto, CJTF-OIR
chief of public affairs. "The desired effect of such strikes is to
reduce their ability to restrict the movement of, and extort from, the
population in Daesh held areas."
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press release:
* Near Al Hasakah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying three ISIL fighting positions.
* Near Ar Raqqah, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL vehicles and an ISIL motorcycle.
* Near Tal Abyad, three airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL fighting positions.
* Near Al Qaim, one airstrike struck an ISIL checkpoint, destroying an ISIL storage container.
* Near Bayji, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying two ISIL VBIEDs and an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Fallujah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL fighting position.
* Near Makhmur, one airstrike struck an ISIL staging area.
Near Mosul, six airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, three
ISIL staging areas and an ISIL tank, destroying an ISIL heavy machine
gun and an ISIL building.
* Near Ramadi, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL excavator.
Near Sinjar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit,
destroying two ISIL buildings, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL
* Near Tal Afar, one airstrike destroyed two ISIL fighting positions.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the
operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose
to Iraq, Syria, the region and the wider international community. The
destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the
terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include
Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United
Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted
airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia,
United Arab Emirates and the U.S.