October 1, 2015
Release # 20151001-01
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Sept. 30, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted one airstrike using remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 21 airstrikes coordinated with and in support of the Government of Iraq using bomber, fighter, attack, fighter-attack, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
• Near Mar’a, one airstrike destroyed two ISIL excavators.
• Near Al Huwayjah, seven airstrikes struck a large ISIL tactical unit and an area of interest and destroyed three ISIL heavy machine guns, an ISIL light machine gun, eight ISIL fighting positions, suppressed ISIL mortar fire, and denied ISIL terrain.
• Near Bayji, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL tactical vehicle and an ISIL mortar position.
• Near Fallujah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building and an ISIL tunnel.
• Near Habbaniyah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building and an ISIL rocket system.
• Near Kirkuk, four airstrikes struck three separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL cache, two ISIL heavy machine guns, seven ISIL light machine guns, 22 ISIL fighting positions, and denied ISIL access to terrain.
• Near Ramadi, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed 10 ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL tactical vehicle and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL light machine gun and two ISIL fighting positions.
• Near Sultan Abdallah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL fighting position and suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
• Near Tal Afar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
Strike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and the United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and the U.S.