October 18, 2015
Release # 201510018-01
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA — On Oct. 17, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted five strikes using remotely piloted and fighter aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 18 strikes coordinated with and in support of the Government of Iraq using bomber, fighter, attack, ground-attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
• Near Abu Kamal, two strikes destroyed two separate ISIL crude oil collection points.
• Near Aleppo, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroyed an ISIL tactical vehicle, and neutralized an ISIL tactical vehicle.
• Near Ar Raqqah, two strikes damaged an ISIL artillery piece.
• Near Bayji, one strike struck a large ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL bunker, an ISIL heavy machine gun, three ISIL weapons caches, and an ISIL tactical vehicle.
• Near Habbaniyah, one strike destroyed an ISIL mortar system.
• Near Kisik, two strikes suppressed an ISIL sniper position and an ISIL light machine gun position.
• Near Mosul, three strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL heavy machine guns, six ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL tactical vehicle.
• Near Qayyarah, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL improvised explosive device and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Ramadi, three strikes destroyed an ISIL supply cache and denied ISIL access to two separate terrain locations.
• Near Sinjar, five strikes struck a large ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL command and control node, an ISIL cache, an ISIL assembly area, 26 ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL improvised explosive device factory, and suppressed an ISIL rocket position.
• Near Sultan Abdallah, one strike destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
• Near Tal Afar, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
Strike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted strikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and the United States. Coalition nations which have conducted strikes in Syria include Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and the U.S.