October 22, 2015
Release # 20151022-01
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA — On Oct. 21, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted eight strikes using attack, bomber and fighter aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 14 strikes coordinated with and in support of the Government of Iraq using bomber, fighter, ground-attack, attack, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
• Near Ar Raqqah, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
• Near Washiyah, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL excavator.
• Near Mar’a, one strike destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL building.
• Near Dayr Az Zawr, five strikes struck two ISIL crude oil collection points, an ISIL maintenance and storage yard, an ISIL main petroleum station, and an ISIL cash distribution site.
• Near Kirkuk, one strike suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
• Near Mosul, one strike suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
• Near Ramadi, three strikes struck three separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL heavy machine guns, an ISIL building, an ISIL bunker, and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Sinjar, one strike destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
• Near Sultan Abdallah, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL heavy machine gun, and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Tal Afar, seven strikes struck a large ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL IED facility, an ISIL VBIED facility, five ISIL vehicles, two ISIL bunkers, 31 ISIL fighting positions, and two ISIL supply caches.
Strike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted strikes in Iraq include Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and the United States. Coalition nations which have conducted strikes in Syria include Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and the U.S.