Combined Force Captures Taliban Leader in Paktika
Compiled from International Security Assistance Force Joint Command News Releases
WASHINGTON, June 13, 2011 - An Afghan-led combined force captured a Taliban leader and more than 10 suspected insurgents during an intelligence-driven operation yesterday in the Sarobi district of Afghanistan’s Paktika province.
The Taliban leader worked for multiple insurgent groups, supported them with planning, and provided fighters and weapons for attacks against Afghan security forces, officials said.
In other operations in Afghanistan yesterday:
– Based on interviews with local residents, a combined Afghan and coalition force in Jowzjan province’s Darzab district detained a person with suspected ties to the Taliban while searching for a Taliban leader responsible for providing weapons and support to enemy fighters in the district.
– In Zabul province’s Tarnek wa Jaldak district, a combined force detained two suspected Taliban insurgents after questioning local residents during a search for a Taliban member who builds and plants roadside bombs.
– A combined force detained two suspected insurgents while searching for a Taliban leader in Helmand province’s Nad-e Ali district. The leader is in charge of direct-fire and bomb-attack cells in the Kariz-e Saydi and Badula Qulp areas of northern Marja.
– In Kandahar province’s Zharay district, a combined force detained an suspected insurgent and confiscated more than 150 pounds of heroin while searching for a Taliban leader who is involved in attacks against Afghan security forces.
– An Afghan and coalition force in Uruzgan province’s Deh Rawud district found 32 rocket-propelled grenades.
– In Helmand province’s Garm Ser district, coalition forces detained several insurgents and destroyed 2,139 pounds of dry opium and 705 pounds of wet opium.
– A combined force captured a Haqqani terrorist network leader and several of his associates in Khost province’s Sabari district. The leader directed a bombing cell and was responsible for coordinating multiple roadside bomb attacks against the Afghan army. The Afghan-led security force found his compound after tracking him throughout the day, searching the area and interviewing residents.
– In Paktika province’s Nikeh district, a combined force captured a Haqqani facilitator and another suspected insurgent. The facilitator aided Haqqani senior leadership with attack planning and commanded 35 to 40 fighters.
– A combined force detained two suspected insurgents in the Tangi Valley area of Nangarhar province’s Sherzad district while seeking a Taliban leader who organizes suicide-bomb attacks and takes part in planning and conducting attacks against Afghan security forces.
– A combined force in Wardak province’s Sayyidabad district – an area known as a Taliban safe haven — detained several people during a clearing operation.
– Also in Sayyidabad, a coalition force patrol on a route-clearing operation found a bomb-making lab and 1,800 pounds of ammonium nitrate – a banned fertilizer used in making bombs – and 20 gallons of diesel fuel.
In June 11 operations:
– More than five insurgents were killed after they attempted to attack a coalition force operating in Badghis province’s Qadis district. The unit reported receiving small-arms and rocket-propelled grenade fire while conducting a security patrol. After gaining positive identification, the unit returned fire and called for air support. An air weapons team in the area dropped multiple ordnance rounds on several positions after positively identifying armed insurgents.
– A combined security force captured a Taliban facilitator and one of his associates in Helmand province’s Marja district. The facilitator was in charge of acquiring equipment and weapons for Taliban leaders operating in the district and coordinating travel for injured enemy fighters.
– A combined force in Helmand province’s Garm Ser district found 1,146 pounds of dry opium.
– An Afghan-led combined force searching for a Taliban leader who coordinates and participates in attacks against Afghan and coalition forces in Wardak province’s Chak-e Wardak district detained a suspected insurgent.
– In Laghman province’s Qarghahi district, a combined force found and seized 10 82 mm rockets.
In June 10 operations:
– A combined force acting on intelligence reports in Khost province’s Sabari district killed Sayed Rahman, a Haqqani network facilitator. Rahman assisted roadside-bomb and indirect-fire attacks against Afghan and coalition forces. He moved multiple weapons for insurgents in the district, including anti-aircraft machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades. He also was involved in attack planning targeting an Afghan security checkpoint. The Afghan-led force tracked Rahman to his compound and saw him armed with an assault rifle and trying to evade capture. He was killed in the resulting engagement, and two suspected insurgents were detained.
– In Kunduz province’s Archi district, Kunduz province, a combined force detained several suspected insurgents while searching for a Taliban facilitator who works with Taliban leaders to facilitate the movement of weapons and bomb components and is actively involved in attack planning.
– A combined force captured a Taliban facilitator and one of his associates in Kandahar province’s Zharay district yesterday. The facilitator was involved with weapons procurement from Pakistan and also provided materials for suicide attacks.
– In Helmand province, an Afghan-led combined force detained two suspected insurgents and found bomb-making materials in Kajaki district while searching for a Taliban facilitator who provides logistical support to insurgents throughout northern Helmand.
– Also in Helmand, a combined Afghan and coalition force in the Lashkar Gah district detained a suspected insurgent leader believed to direct insurgents in attacks against Afghan security forces and facilitating insurgent weapons and explosives.
– In Helmand’s Garm Ser district, a combined patrol found and destroyed 1,146 lbs of dry.
– A coalition patrol in Kandahar province’s Shorabak district found nearly 3,000 pounds of ammonium nitrate.
– A combined force detained two suspects while searching for a Haqqani network leader in Khost province’s Sabari district. The targeted leader is in charge of a large group of fighters who are involved in roadside-bomb, car-bomb and direct attacks against Afghan security forces.
– In Kandahar province’s Maiwand district, a combined force —found 154 pounds of opium and seized 1 million Pakistani rupees – about 11,660 U.S. dollars – as well as a vehicle, a motorcycle and one cell phone during an operation in which several suspected insurgents were detained.
– A coalition patrol in Bamyan province’s Kahmard district found 14 grenades, 26 grenade fuses, two 82 mm mortar grenades and 21 mortar grenade fuses.
In June 9 operations:
– A combined force in Nimroz province’s Khash Rod district seized 1,653 pounds of wet opium, 11,023 pounds of sodium carbonate, 13,228 pounds of ammonium chloride and 50 barrels of other chemicals used in narcotics.
In other news, a combined Afghan and coalition force killed several insurgents who engaged them during a recent five-day operation in Helmand province’s Sangin district. During the operation, the patrol found and seized four completed roadside bombs, six pressure plates, homemade explosives, various bomb components and three assault rifles.