Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
THEATRE MEDICAL CLEARANCE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
USCENTCOM UNCLASSIFIED REGULATIONS
Press Release View
| Aug. 1, 2017
August 1: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
August 1, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On July 31, Coalition military forces conducted 29 strikes consisting of 35 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 20 strikes consisting of 23 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Shadaddi, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a command and control node and an ISIS-held building.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, three strikes destroyed 13 ISIS oil stills, an oil storage barrel and an ISIS chemical weapons factory.
* Near Raqqah, 16 strikes engaged 11 ISIS tactical units and destroyed 14 fighting positions, a tactical vehicle, a mortar system and a VBIED facility.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted nine strikes consisting of 12 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Huwayjah, three strikes destroyed two ISIS financial headquarters, three VBIED factories, and an explosives cache.
* Near Al Qaim, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed two staging areas.
* Near Mosul, one strike suppressed a mortar team.
* Near Rawah, three strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a VBIED storage facility, a vehicle and a weapons storage facility.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed four fighting positions and two supply caches.
Additionally, 26 strikes consisting of 35 engagements were conducted in Syria and Iraq on July 29-30 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On July 29, near Raqqah, Syria, 10 strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units; destroyed three command and control nodes, a storage facility, and a fighting position; and damaged nine fighting positions.
* On July 30, near Al Huwayjah, Iraq, one strike destroyed a VBIED factory.
* On July 30, near Al Shadaddi, Syria, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed six VBIEDs, four ISIS-held buildings and a command and control node.
* On July 30, near Raqqah, Syria, 11 strikes engaged six ISIS tactical units, destroyed four fighting positions, and suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
* On July 30, near Tal Afar, Iraq, two strikes destroyed three tunnels, two front-end loaders and illuminated an area.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.