Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM NEWCOMER INFORMATION
CENTCOM TELEWORKING GUIDE
USCENTCOM UNCLASSIFIED REGULATIONS
Press Release View
| July 22, 2017
July 22: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
July 22, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On July 21, Coalition military forces conducted 15 strikes consisting of 28 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted nine strikes consisting of 13 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, two strikes destroyed four ISIS oil tankers.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed four oil storage tanks and a vehicle.
* Near Raqqah, five strikes engaged four ISIS tactical units, destroyed three fighting positions and an anti-air artillery system, and damaged a supply route.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted six strikes consisting of 15 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Huwayjah, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a supply cache.
* Near Al Qaim, one strike destroyed two ISIS vehicles and a VBIED factory.
* Near Mosul, one strike suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
* Near Qayyarah, two strikes destroyed an ISIS boat and a vehicle.
* Near Rawah, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed an ISIS-held building.
Additionally, 16 strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on July 19-20 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On July 19, near Raqqah, Syria, two strikes destroyed two ISIS fighting positions and a storage facility and suppressed a mortar system.
* On July 20, near Dayr Az Zawr, Syria, one strike destroyed nine ISIS oil refinement stills.
* On July 20, near Raqqah, Syria, 12 strikes engaged 10 ISIS tactical units and destroyed two fighting positions and a tunnel entrance.
* On July 20, near Kisik, Iraq, one strike suppressed two ISIS tactical units.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.