Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM WELCOME GUIDE
CENTCOM TELEWORKING GUIDE
Press Release View
July 13: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-265 July 13, 2017
July 13, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On July 12, Coalition military forces conducted 24 strikes consisting of 62 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 19 strikes consisting of 24 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, one strike destroyed two ISIS oil tanks and an oil refinery building.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, six strikes destroyed 16 ISIS oil stills, 10 oil barrels, six oil trucks, and two well-heads.
* Near Raqqah, 12 strikes engaged 10 ISIS tactical units and destroyed nine fighting positions, a command and control node, an anti-air artillery system, a VBIED, and a tunnel.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted five strikes consisting of 38 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Bayji, one strike destroyed two tactical vehicles and a vehicle.
* Near Hit, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle.
* Near Mosul, one strike engaged two ISIS tactical units; destroyed 19 fighting positions, four medium machine guns, and a rocket-propelled grenade system; and damaged five fighting positions.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike destroyed two ISIS bunker systems.
* Near Rawah, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle.
Additionally, 15 strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on July 11 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On July 11, near Raqqah, Syria, 12 strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units and destroyed five IEDs, three fighting positions, two VBIEDs, three ISIS communications towers, two command and control nodes, an anti-air artillery system, and a communications repeater.
* On July 11, near Al Shadaddi, Syria, two strikes destroyed two ISIS command and control nodes.
* On July 11, near Mosul, Iraq, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed four medium machine guns and a rocket-propelled grenade system.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.