Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM WELCOME GUIDE
CENTCOM TELEWORKING GUIDE
Press Release View
July 9: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-260 July 9, 2017
July 9, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On July 8, Coalition military forces conducted 25 strikes consisting of 75 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 18 strikes consisting of 26 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, two strikes destroyed two ISIS oil separator tanks, two oil tankers and a well-head.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, four strikes destroyed 11 ISIS oil stills, three oil still tanks, three oil tankers, an oil separator tank, a well-head, and a pump jack.
* Near Raqqah, 12 strikes engaged 10 ISIS tactical units and destroyed seven fighting positions, two vehicles, a front-end loader, an ISIS communications tower and communications equipment.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted seven strikes consisting of 49 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Huwayjah, one strike destroyed an ISIS fuel point.
* Near Bayji, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed a tactical vehicle and a bunker.
* Near Kisik, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit.
* Near Mosul, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units; destroyed 21 fighting positions, six IEDs, four medium machine guns, three staging areas, two rocket-propelled grenade systems, and a VBIED facility; and damaged six fighting positions.
* Near Rawah, one strike destroyed a VBIED.
Additionally, nine strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on July 7 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On July 7, near Dayr Az Zawr, Syria, one strike destroyed an ISIS media facility.
* On July 7, near Raqqah, Syria, six strikes engaged four ISIS tactical units; destroyed five fighting positions, an IED factory, and a VBIED; and damaged 15 fighting positions.
* On July 7, near Mosul, Iraq, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit; destroyed four medium machine guns, four fighting positions, four garages, three ISIS-held buildings, two vehicles, and a weapons storage cache; damaged four fighting positions and two garages.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.