Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM NEWCOMER INFORMATION
CENTCOM TELEWORKING GUIDE
Press Release View
May 13: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-181 May 13, 2017
May 13, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On May 12, Coalition military forces conducted 22 strikes consisting of 80 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 15 strikes consisting of 19 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, one strike destroyed an ISIS well head.
* Near Al Hawl, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle and a VBIED.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, six strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed 16 ISIS oil tankers, two ISIS oil processing equipment, two fighting positions, and a vehicle.
* Near Raqqah, five strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed two fighting positions, a front-end loader, an ISIS crane, and a house-born improvised explosive device.
* Near Tabqah, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a tactical vehicle and a vehicle.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted seven strikes consisting of 61 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Mosul, six strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units; destroyed six fighting positions, five mortar systems, a tactical vehicle, an HBIED, a recoilless rifle, a medium machine gun, a command and control node, a weapons cache; damaged 27 ISIS supply routes and a fighting position; and suppressed eight mortar teams an artillery system.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a tactical vehicle and a weapons cache.
Additionally, six strikes were conducted in Syria on May 11th that closed within the last 24 hours.
* Near Al Hawl, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed three fighting positions.
* Near Raqqah, five strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit; destroyed two VBIEDs, a fighting position, a weapons cache, a vehicle; and damaged two ISIS supply routes and a bridge.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.