June 23, 2015
Release # 20150623
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA –
Coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria
and Iraq June 22. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted three
airstrikes using fighter and remotely piloted aircraft. Separately in
Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 14 airstrikes approved by the
Iraqi Ministry of Defense using attack, fighter and remotely piloted
aircraft against ISIL terrorists.
“Coalition air power provides a
significant advantage for ground forces in hybrid warfare,” said Brig.
Gen. Thomas Weidley, CJTF-OIR chief of staff. “We see this materializing
daily in support of our enabled partners within the battlespace.”
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press release:
Near Tal Abyad, three airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units, an
ISIL fighting position, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Habbaniyah, one airstrike destroyed seven ISIL rocket rails.
* Near Hit, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL anti-aircraft weapon.
* Near Kirkuk, one airstrike struck an ISIL fighting position.
Near Mosul, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL
staging area, destroying an ISIL building and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
* Near Ramadi, four airstrikes struck multiple ISIL staging areas.
* Near Sinjar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying two ISIL heavy machine guns and an ISIL bunker.
* Near Tal Afar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL building and an ISIL mortar firing position.
* Near Waleed, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the
operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose
to Iraq, Syria, the region and the wider international community. The
destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the
terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include
Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United
Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted
airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia,
United Arab Emirates and the U.S.