September 27, 2015,
Release # 20150927-01
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Sept. 26, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq. In Syria, coalition military forces conducted three airstrike using bomber and fighter aircraft. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 20 airstrikes coordinated with and in support of the Government of Iraq using bomber, fighter, fighter-attack, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL targets.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted against ISIL since the last press release:
• Near Al Hasakah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL structure.
• Near Abu Kamal, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
• Near Mar’a, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL staging area.
• Near Al Huwayjah, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed 27 ISIL fighting positions.
• Near Fallujah, two airstrikes struck an ISIL staging area and damaged an ISIL artillery piece.
• Near Hit, five airstrikes destroyed an ISIL VBIED facility, an ISIL command and control facility, and an ISIL headquarters.
• Near Kirkuk, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
• Near Mosul, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed four ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL armored vehicle, and suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
• Near Ramadi, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL buildings and denied terrain to ISIL forces.
• Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions and two ISIL armored vehicles.
• Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL mortar tubes, an ISIL fighting position, and an ISIL vehicle.
Strike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and the United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and the U.S.