An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
Official websites use .mil
website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.
Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
THEATRE MEDICAL CLEARANCE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
USCENTCOM UNCLASSIFIED REGULATIONS
Press Release View
| July 24, 2017
July 24: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
July 24, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On July 23, Coalition military forces conducted 16 strikes consisting of 27 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 13 strikes consisting of 17 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, three strikes destroyed eight ISIS oil refinement stills and two oil tankers.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, three strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle, an oil tanker, and an oil storage tank.
* Near Raqqah, seven strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units; destroyed two fighting positions, a mortar tube, and a mortar facility; and damaged five fighting positions and a supply route.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted three strikes consisting of 10 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Bayji, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed two vehicles and a staging area.
* Near Qayyarah, one strike suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed two ISIS-held buildings, two vehicles, a mortar system, and a fighting position.
Additionally, 14 strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on July 22 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On July 22, near Kisik, Iraq, one strike suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
* On July 22, near Dayr Az Zawr, Syria, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle.
* On July 22, near Raqqah, Syria, 12 strikes engaged 10 ISIS tactical units and destroyed three fighting positions, a storage facility, and a tunnel.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.