Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
THEATRE MEDICAL CLEARANCE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
USCENTCOM UNCLASSIFIED REGULATIONS
Press Release View
| July 16, 2017
July 16: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
July 16, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On July 15, Coalition military forces conducted 29 strikes consisting of 46 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 22 strikes consisting of 24 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, three strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed three oil stills and a vehicle.
* Near Al Shadaddi, two strikes destroyed an ISIS staging area and an artillery system.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, eight strikes destroyed 44 ISIS oil storage tanks, 22 oil stills, five cranes, a vehicle, and a well-head.
* Near Raqqah, nine strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units and destroyed 14 fighting positions, two anti-air artillery systems and a VBIED.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted seven strikes consisting of 22 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Qaim, one strike destroyed a vehicle.
* Near Bayji, one strike destroyed a VBIED and a VBIED facility.
* Near Mosul, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed three fighting positions.
* Near Qayyarah, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed seven boats, an ISIS-held building, and a fighting position.
* Near Rawah, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit.
Additionally, 10 strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on July 13-14 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On July 13, near Raqqah, Syria, two strikes damaged nine fighting positions and suppressed five mortar teams.
* On July 14, near Raqqah, Syria, five strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units, destroyed two fighting positions and two ISIS communications towers, and damaged four fighting positions.
* On July 14, near Kisik, Iraq, one strike damaged eight ISIS supply routes.
* On July 14, near Mosul, Iraq, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed 11 tunnel entrances.
* On July 14, near Qayyarah, Iraq, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed four boats, an ISIS-held building and a fighting position.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.