Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM NEWCOMER INFORMATION
CENTCOM TELEWORKING GUIDE
USCENTCOM UNCLASSIFIED REGULATIONS
Press Release View
| July 15, 2017
July 15: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
July 15, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On July 14, Coalition military forces conducted 30 strikes consisting of 45 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 22 strikes consisting of 35 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, 10 strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed 12 oil refinement stills, eight oil storage tanks, four oil separation tanks, and four well-heads.
* Near Al Shadaddi, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed two command and control nodes and an ISIS-held building.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, two strikes destroyed an ISIS oil refinery and a VBIED factory.
* Near Raqqah, eight strikes engaged eight ISIS tactical units and destroyed four fighting positions, a VBIED factory, a tunnel, a mortar system, and a heavy machine gun.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted eight strikes consisting of 10 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Bayji, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed six vehicles, two ISIS-held buildings, and a tractor.
* Near Hit, two strikes destroyed two ISIS trailers and a fuel point.
* Near Kirkuk, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed two fighting positions and an ISIS-held building.
* Near Mosul, three strikes destroyed two ISIS vehicles and a VBIED facility.
Additionally, 11 strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on July 13 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On July 13, near Abu Kamal, Syria, one strike destroyed 10 ISIS oil storage tanks, two oil trucks, and two oil refinement stills.
* On July 13, near Raqqah, Syria, eight strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units and destroyed five ISIS communication towers.
* On July 13, near Kisik, Iraq, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit, destroyed a fighting position; and suppressed a fighting position and a supply route.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.