Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM NEWCOMER INFORMATION
CENTCOM TELEWORKING GUIDE
Press Release View
July 2: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-249 July 2, 2017
July 2, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA -
On July 1, Coalition military forces conducted 22 strikes consisting of 66 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 17 strikes consisting of 19 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, five strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units and destroyed three front-end loaders, two well heads, two oil separator tanks, two vehicles, two cranes and a grader.
* Near Al Shadaddi, one strike destroyed two ISIS-held buildings.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, two strikes destroyed 20 ISIS oil storage barrels and six oil tankers.
* Near Raqqah, nine strikes engaged eight ISIS tactical units and destroyed seven fighting positions, a tactical vehicle, a front-end loader, a mortar system and a heavy machine gun.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted five strikes consisting of 47 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Mosul, three strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and a sniper team; destroyed 13 fighting positions, eight IEDs, three medium machine guns, and a supply cache; damaged 11 fighting positions; and suppressed four sniper teams and two ISIS tactical units.
* Near Rawah, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a tactical vehicle, a mortar system and a vehicle.
Additionally, seven strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq from June 29-30 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On June 29, near Raqqah, Syria, one strike damaged 24 fighting positions.
* On June 30, near Dayr Az Zawr, Syria, three strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units and destroyed four ISIS-held buildings, two command and control nodes and three oil stills.
* On June 30, near Mosul, Iraq, three strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed 23 vehicles, 10 fighting positions, two medium machine guns, two front-end loaders, two VBIEDs, an oil tanker truck, a rocket-propelled grenade system, a heavy machine gun and a supply cache.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.