Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM NEWCOMER INFORMATION
CENTCOM TELEWORKING GUIDE
Press Release View
June 28: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-245 June 28, 2017
June 28, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On June 27, Coalition military forces conducted 32 strikes consisting of 75 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 27 strikes consisting of 46 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, three strikes destroyed an ISIS well head and a vehicle.
* Near Al Shadaddi, three strikes destroyed three ISIS-held buildings, a staging area, a storage facility and a tank.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, three strikes destroyed an ISIS-held building, two pump jacks, a refinery, and a generator.
* Near Raqqah, 18 strikes engaged 13 ISIS tactical units, destroyed 12 vehicles, nine fighting positions, and a boat, and suppressed two ISIS tactical units.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted five strikes consisting of 29 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Bayji, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle.
* Near Mosul, three strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units; destroyed 14 fighting positions, three mortar systems, three medium machine guns, three supply caches, a rocket-propelled grenade system, and an ISIS headquarters; and suppressed a mortar team.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike destroyed an ISIS headquarters.
Additionally, nine strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on June 24 and June 26 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On June 24, near Raqqah, Syria, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit, destroyed 19 fighting positions and two vehicles, and damaged a weapons cache
* On June 26, near Al Shadaddi, Syria, three strikes destroyed two ISIS-held buildings, a staging area, and a command and control node.
* On June 26, near Dayr Az Zawr, one strike destroyed an ISIS factory.
* On June 26, near Raqqah, Syria, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed an IED belt.
* On June 26, near Kisik, Iraq, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit, destroyed a weapons cache and suppressed three ISIS mortar teams.
* On June 26, near Mosul, Iraq, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a fighting position, a medium machine gun, a rocket-propelled grenade system and an ISIS headquarters.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.
- 30 -