Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM NEWCOMER INFORMATION
CENTCOM TELEWORKING GUIDE
USCENTCOM UNCLASSIFIED REGULATIONS
Press Release View
| June 24, 2017
June 24: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
June 24, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On June 23, Coalition military forces conducted 34 strikes consisting of 85 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 31 strikes consisting of 43 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, six strikes destroyed 10 ISIS oil storage tanks, four front-end loaders, two vehicles, a VBIED facility and a pump jack.
* Near Al Shadaddi, one strike destroyed an ISIS VBIED factory.
* Near As Hasakah, two strikes destroyed four artillery systems and two tanks.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, one strike destroyed a front-end loader.
* Near Raqqah, 21 strikes engaged 15 ISIS tactical units; destroyed 10 fighting positions, six vehicles, a VBIED, an ISIS staging area, a tactical vehicle, a mortar tube, and a mortar system; damaged an ISIS supply route; and suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted three strikes consisting of 42 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Mosul, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and two snipers; destroyed 14 fighting positons, five medium machine guns, four mortar systems, three supply caches, two rocket-propelled grenade systems, and a sniper position; and suppressed a mortar team.
* Near Rawah, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed an ISIS staging area.
Additionally, six strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on June 21-22 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On June 21, near Raqqah, Syria, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit; destroyed four ISIS staging areas, three vehicles, three fighting positons, and a VBIED; damaged a VBIED factory; and suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
* On June 22, near Raqqah, Syria, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed two fighting positions.
* On June 22, near Kisik, Iraq, one strike damaged six ISIS supply routes.
* On June 22, near Mosul, Iraq, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units; destroyed seven vehicles, two medium machine guns, two rocket-propelled grenade systems, an ISIS staging area, a fighting positon, and a VBIED; and suppressed two mortar teams.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.