An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
Official websites use .mil
website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.
Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
THEATRE MEDICAL CLEARANCE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
USCENTCOM UNCLASSIFIED REGULATIONS
Press Release View
| June 23, 2017
June 23: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
June 23, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On June 22, Coalition military forces conducted 32 strikes consisting of 103 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 28 strikes consisting of 49 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, seven strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed nine ISIS oil stills, four dump trucks, three cement mixers, three vehicles, three tactical vehicles, two cranes, a weapons cache, a pump jack, and a manifold.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, one strike destroyed six ISIS oil stills.
* Near Palmyra, one strike destroyed four ISIS tunnel entrances.
* Near Raqqah, 19 strikes engaged 14 ISIS tactical units; destroyed 12 fighting positions, two vehicles, and an IED cache; and damaged an ISIS supply route.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted four strikes consisting of 54 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Bayji, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed six tactical vehicles and four ISIS staging areas.
* Near Mosul, three strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units and a sniper; destroyed 16 fighting positions, eight medium machine guns, three mortar systems, an artillery system, an ISIS-held building, and a rocket-propelled grenade system; damaged a fighting position; and suppressed two mortar teams and an ISIS tactical unit.
Additionally, one strike was conducted in Iraq on June 21 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On June 21, near Mosul, Iraq, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.