Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM NEWCOMER INFORMATION
CENTCOM TELEWORKING GUIDE
Press Release View
June 17: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-230 June 17, 2017
June 17, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On June 16, Coalition military forces conducted 43 strikes consisting of 83 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 33 strikes consisting of 44 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, three strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed three ISIS oil tanks and two ISIS oil trucks.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, five strikes destroyed seven ISIS oil trucks, four ISIS oil tanks, a front-end loader, an ISIS oil pump and an ISIS well head.
* Near Raqqah, 25 strikes engaged 21 ISIS tactical units and destroyed 34 fighting positions, three tunnels, three mortar systems, two vehicles and a VBIED facility.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted 10 strikes consisting of 39 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Kisik, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a mortar team.
* Near Mosul, three strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units; destroyed 15 fighting positions, two supply caches, a mortar team, and a VBIED; damaged seven fighting positions; and suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
* Near Rawah, two strikes destroyed an ISIS fuel point, an ISIS staging area, and a VBIED facility.
* Near Samarra, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units and destroyed a vehicle and a command and control node.
* Near Tal Afar, two strikes destroyed an ISIS staging area and a tactical vehicle.
Additionally, seven strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on June 15 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On June 15, near Raqqah, Syria, six strikes destroyed eight fighting positions, an ISIS headquarters, and a tunnel, and suppressed two snipers.
* On June 15, near Mosul, Iraq, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and a sniper, destroyed three vehicles, and damaged five ISIS supply routes.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.