Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM WELCOME GUIDE
Press Release View
June 18: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-229 June 18, 2017
June 18, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On June 17, Coalition military forces conducted 25 strikes consisting of 46 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 15 strikes consisting of 18 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, one strike destroyed an ISIS well head.
* Near Palmyra, two strikes destroyed six oil tanks and two tanks.
* Near Raqqah, 12 strikes engaged 11 ISIS tactical units and destroyed 12 fighting positions, two tunnels and a VBIED.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted 10 strikes consisting of 28 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Qaim, three strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed 18 ISIS storage tanks, two vehicles and a front-end loader.
* Near Kisik, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle and a tactical vehicle.
* Near Mosul, three strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units and destroyed six fighting positions, a supply cache and an artillery system.
* Near Rawah, two strikes destroyed an ISIS bridge and a VBIED.
Additionally, 11 strikes were conducted in Syria and Iraq on June 15-16 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* On June 15, near Raqqah, Syria, one strike destroyed six fighting positions, five ISIS staging areas, two command and control nodes, an ISIS headquarters, and a supply cache, and damaged 10 fighting positions and two VBIED facilities.
* One June 16, near Raqqah, Syria, eight strikes engaged four ISIS tactical units; destroyed four fighting positions, two ISIS headquarters, two VBIED facilities, and two VBIEDs; and suppressed a sniper team.
* On June 16, near Mosul, Iraq, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units, destroyed a rocket-propelled grenade system and a medium machine gun, and damaged two ISIS supply routes and a fighting position.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.