An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
Official websites use .mil
website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.
Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
THEATRE MEDICAL CLEARANCE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
USCENTCOM UNCLASSIFIED REGULATIONS
Press Release View
| June 16, 2017
June 16: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
June 16, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On June 15, Coalition military forces conducted 35 strikes consisting of 84 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 29 strikes consisting of 39 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, three strikes destroyed three ISIS well heads.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, six strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed five ISIS oil storage tanks, two vehicles, and an ISS well head.
* Near Raqqah, 20 strikes engaged 14 ISIS tactical units and a sniper and destroyed nine fighting positions, four vehicles, three mortar systems, two supply caches, two ISIS headquarters, a heavy machine gun, and a home-made explosives factory.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted six strikes consisting of 45 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Haditha, one strike destroyed a VBIED.
* Near Kisik, three strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit; destroyed 10 fighting positions, four mortar systems, a tunnel entrance, a supply cache, and a vehicle; damaged four fighting positions; and suppressed four mortar teams.
* Near Mosul, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit, destroyed a fighting position and damaged a fighting position.
* Near Rawah, one strike destroyed a tactical vehicle.
Additionally, one strike was conducted in Iraq on June 14 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* Near Mosul, Iraq, one strike destroyed a fighting position, damaged 16 ISIS supply routes, and suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.