Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM NEWCOMER INFORMATION
CENTCOM TELEWORKING GUIDE
Press Release View
May 1: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-167 May 1, 2017
May 1, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On April 30, Coalition military forces conducted 28 strikes consisting of 73 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 20 strikes consisting of 43 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, four strikes destroyed four ISIS well heads.
* Near Raqqah, two strikes destroyed four ISIS barges and an ISIS weapons facility.
* Near Tabqah, 14 strikes engaged 12 ISIS tactical units; destroyed five ISIS oil stills, two vehicles, and a fighting position; and suppressed an ISIS tactical unit.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted eight strikes consisting of 30 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Haditha, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit and an ISIS sniper team.
* Near Mosul, four strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units and two sniper teams; destroyed six fighting positions, three artillery systems, three mortar systems, two rocket-propelled grenade systems, a front-end loader, a VBIED factory, and an ISIS staging area; damaged three ISIS supply routes, and suppressed two mortar teams and two rocket teams.
* Near Rawah, one strike destroyed an anti-air artillery system.
* Near Sinjar, one strike destroyed four ISIS fueling points.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike destroyed a front-end loader.
Additionally, nine strikes were conducted in Syria April 28-29, and one strike was conducted in Iraq on April 29 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* Near Raqqah, Syria; on April 29, two strikes destroyed an ISIS-held building, an ISIS staging area.
* Near Tabqah, Syria; on April 28-29, six strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit; destroyed four vehicles, two VBIEDs, and three fighting positions; damaged three fighting positions and suppressed two ISIS tactical units.
* Near Mosul, Iraq; on April 29th, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit; destroyed two fighting positions, two weapons caches, one mortar system, and one front-end loader; and suppressed a heavy machine gun.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.