Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM NEWCOMER INFORMATION
CENTCOM TELEWORKING GUIDE
Press Release View
April 28: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-162 April 28, 2017
April 28, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On April 27, Coalition military forces conducted 28 strikes consisting of 53 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 17 strikes consisting of 20 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, two strikes destroyed two ISIS well heads.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, five strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed two ISIS well heads, an ISIS fuel truck, an ISIS oil tank, and a crane.
* Near Raqqah, two strikes destroyed a command and control node and a front-end loader.
* Near Tabqah, eight strikes engaged eight ISIS tactical units and destroyed three fighting positions, two command and control nodes, two bunkers, and an ISIS staging area.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted 11 strikes consisting of 33 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Al Qaim, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and destroyed three weapons caches and an ISIS media center.
* Near Mosul, six strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units; destroyed eight front-end loaders, two recoilless rifles, a vehicle, a mortar system, an excavator, and an anti-air artillery system; damaged a VBIED facility and suppressed two mortar teams.
* Near Rawah, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit, destroyed a tactical vehicle and a VBIED.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit; and destroyed an ISIS staging area and two bunkers.
Additionally, one strike was conducted in Syria April 26 that closed within the last 24 hours.
* Near Al Shadaddi, on April 26, one strike destroyed a mortar system, a UAV launch facility, a command and control node, and a VBIED facility.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.