Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
CENTCOM WELCOME GUIDE
Press Release View
April 25: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
Release No: 17-158 April 25, 2017
April 25, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On April 24, Coalition military forces conducted 35 strikes consisting of 78 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 19 strikes consisting of 24 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, two strikes destroyed five ISIS well heads.
* Near Al Shadaddi, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit, a fighting position, and a mortar system.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, nine strikes destroyed 10 ISIS oil processing equipment items, four ISIS fuel trucks, and three ISIS well heads.
* Near Tabqah, seven strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units; destroyed three ISIS command and control nodes, a fighting position, and a heavy machine gun; and suppressed two ISIS tactical units.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted 16 strikes consisting of 54 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Kisik, two strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit and suppressed a mortar team and a rocket team.
* Near Mosul, five strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units; destroyed four weapons caches, two VBIEDs, a mortar system, a rocket-propelled grenade system, an ISIS fuel truck, a front-end loader, a rocket system, an ISIS staging area; and damaged four ISIS supply routes and a fighting position.
* Near Sinjar, eight strikes destroyed five weapons facilities, two ISIS staging areas, a weapons cache, a VBIED factory, and an IED factory.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit; destroyed a weapons cache, an ISIS staging area, and a VBIED.
Additionally, two strikes were conducted in Syria from April 23 that have closed within the last 24 hours.
* On April 23, near Raqqah, Syria, two strikes engaged two ISIS tactical units; destroyed two fighting positions; and suppressed two ISIS tactical units.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and ground-based tactical artillery.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.