An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
Official websites use .mil
website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.
Skip to main content (Press Enter).
U.S. Central Command
OPERATIONS AND EXERCISES
OPERATION INHERENT RESOLVE
OPERATIONAL CONTRACT SUPPORT
THEATRE MEDICAL CLEARANCE
VISITORS AND PERSONNEL
SOCIAL MEDIA SECURITY
USCENTCOM UNCLASSIFIED REGULATIONS
Press Release View
| April 11, 2017
April 11: Military airstrikes continue against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq
April 11, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA —
On April 10, Coalition military forces conducted 31 strikes consisting of 99 engagements against ISIS terrorists in Syria and Iraq.
In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted 19 strikes consisting of 26 engagements against ISIS targets.
* Near Abu Kamal, one strike damaged two ISIS well heads.
* Near Ar Raqqah, three strikes engaged an ISIS tactical unit.
* Near Dayr Az Zawr, three strikes destroyed an ISIS well head and damaged an ISIS well head.
* Near Tabqah, 12 strikes engaged eight ISIS tactical units; destroyed four vehicles, destroyed three fighting positions, one VBIED and a tactical vehicle.
In Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted 12 strikes consisting of 73 engagements coordinated with and in support of the government of Iraq against ISIS targets.
* Near Bayji, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit; destroyed an ISIS staging area and an ISIS fuel truck; and damaged a vehicle.
* Near Mosul, six strikes engaged five ISIS tactical units; destroyed a fighting position, a supply cache, a rocket-propelled grenade system, an anti-air artillery system, one VBIED; damaged a fighting position; and suppressed an ISIS tactical unit and a mortar team.
* Near Qayyarah, three strikes engaged three ISIS tactical units and destroyed two vehicles.
* Near Rawah, one strike destroyed an ISIS tactical vehicle and destroyed an anti-air artillery system.
* Near Tal Afar, one strike engaged an ISIS tactical unit; and destroyed three bunkers and one vehicle.
These strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to destroy ISIS in Iraq and Syria. The destruction of ISIS targets in Iraq and Syria also further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct external operations throughout the region and the rest of the world.
This Coalition strike release contains all strikes conducted by fighter, attack, bomber, rotary-wing, or remotely piloted aircraft, rocket propelled artillery and some ground based tactical artillery when fired on planned targets. Ground-based artillery fired in counter-fire or in fire support to maneuver roles are not classified as a strike as defined by CJTF-OIR.
A strike, as defined in the Coalition release, refers to one or more kinetic engagements that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative effect in that location. For example, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIS vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of ISIS-held buildings and weapon systems in a compound, having the cumulative effect of making that facility harder or impossible to use. Strike assessments are based on initial reports and may be refined.
CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. The information used to compile the daily strike releases is based on 'Z' or Greenwich Mean Time.