April 10, 2015
Release # 20150410
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA - Coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria and Iraq between 8 a.m., April 9, and 8 a.m., April 10, local time. In Syria, Coalition military forces conducted seven airstrikes, using bomber, fighter and attack aircraft. Separately in Iraq, Coalition military forces conducted nine airstrikes approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense using fighter, attack and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL terrorists.
"The Syrian strikes support continued advances of Kurdish forces in the northern part of the country" said Brig. Gen. Thomas Weidley, CJTF Chief of Staff. "Likewise, complementary strikes in Iraq that support multiple on-going operations by the ISF and KSF, combine to produce ever increasing lethal pressure on Daesh throughout both Syria and Iraq."
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press release:
* Near Al Hasakah, three airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed four vehicles.
* Near Kobani, four airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed four ISIL fighting positions and two ISIL vehicles.
* Near Bayji, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed seven ISIL excavators and two ISIL vehicles.
* Near Fallujah, two airstrikes struck an ISIL IED position and destroyed an ISIL excavator.
* Near Hit in Al Anbar Province, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
* Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL excavator.
* Near Sinjar, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL buildings and three ISIL fighting positions.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and United States. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and U.S.
_ _ _
As a correction to the April 7 press release in which an airstrike near Aleppo was described as striking an ISIL tactical unit, the tactical unit was part of a network of veteran al Qaida operatives, sometimes called the "Khorasan Group," who are plotting external attacks against the United States and our allies.