March 28, 2015
Release # 20150328
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA - On March 27, coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, using attack, fighter and bomber aircraft to conduct four airstrikes. Separately in Iraq, coalition military forces conducted 18 airstrikes approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense, using attack, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes took place between 8 a.m., March 27, and 8 a.m., March 28, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press release:
* Near Kobani, four airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroyed two anti-aircraft artillery machine guns, three ISIL vehicles, one excavator, and damaged one ISIL fighting position.
* Near Tikrit, eight airstrikes struck two large ISIL units and one ISIL tactical unit, destroyed one ISIL vehicle, one ISIL vehicle borne explosive device, and destroyed 11 and damaged one fighting positions.
* Near Fallujah, three airstrikes struck one ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two anti-aircraft artillery guns and an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Mosul, three airstrikes destroyed two IED construction/facilitation buildings, one other building, an armored vehicle, and one fighting position.
* Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes destroyed one machine gun, one building and one excavator.
* Near Ar Rutbah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
* Near Bayji, one airstrike struck one ISIL tactical unit.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and U.S. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and U.S.