March 20, 2015
Release # 20150320
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA - On March 19, U.S. military forces continued to attack ISIL
terrorists in Syria, using bomber aircraft to conduct an airstrike.
Separately, U.S. and Coalition military forces conducted seven airstrikes in
Iraq, using attack and fighter aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes
took place between 8 a.m., March 19, and 8 a.m., March 20, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press
- Near Kobani, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Al Hawayjah, an airstrike struck an ISIL IED factory.
- Near Bayji, an airstrike struck an ISIL weapons assembly area.
- Near Haditha, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Mosul, four airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, an ISIL rocket site, an ISIL heavy machine gun and destroyed seven ISIL fighting positions and two ISIL excavators.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft
returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve,
the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose
to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The
destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist
group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations
which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Belgium, Canada,
Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and U.S. Coalition
nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include Bahrain, Jordan,
Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and U.S.
For additional information contact:
COM: U.S. 1-803-885-8265 or in Southwest Asia
COM: 00-965-2221-6340, then dial 430-6419# or 430-5129#