February 24, 2015
Release # 20150224
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA — On Feb. 23, U.S. and Coalition military forces continued to
attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, using attack, fighter, bomber and remotely
piloted aircraft to conduct 16 airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and Coalition
military forces conducted five airstrikes in Iraq, using attack, fighter and
remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes took place
between 8 a.m., Feb. 23, and 8 a.m., Feb. 24, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press
- Near Al Hasakah, 10 airstrikes struck nine ISIL tactical units and
destroyed two ISIL vehicles.
- Near Kobani, six airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit,
three ISIL tactical units, two ISIL fighting positions and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL checkpoint
and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Al Asad, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, an ISIL
fighting position and an ISIL IED location.
- Near Fallujah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Hit in Al Anbar Province, an airstrike stuck an ISIL tactical
As a correction to yesterday's airstrike press release, the following
strikes took place between 8a.m., Feb. 22, and 8 a.m., Feb. 23, local time.
These airstrikes were inadvertently omitted from yesterday's release.
- Near Al Asad, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Al Hasakah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the
operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to
Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The
destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist
group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations
which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia,
Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include the U.S.,
Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.