January 26, 2015
Release # 2015026
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA – On Jan. 25, U.S. and Coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, using attack, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft to conduct 21 airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and Coalition military forces conducted 13 airstrikes in Iraq, using attack, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes took place between 8 a.m., Jan. 25, and 8 a.m., Jan. 26, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press release:
• Near Al Qaim, an airstrike destroyed three ISIL armored vehicles.
• Near Ar Raqqah, two airstrikes destroyed six ISIL armored vehicles and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Dayr az Zawr, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL armored vehicle.
• Near Kobani, 17 airstrikes struck 14 ISIL tactical units, a large ISIL unit, and two ISIL fighting positions, and destroyed six ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL vehicle, and an ISIL staging area.
• Near Fallujah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
• Near Haditha, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
• Near Mosul, four airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL bunkers, two ISIL vehicles, and an ISIL armored vehicle.
• Near Tal Afar, seven airstrikes struck a large ISIL unit and destroyed three ISIL mortar firing positions, three ISIL VBIEDs, eight ISIL armored vehicles, an ISIL checkpoint, 15 ISIL vehicles, and three ISIL fighting positions.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.