January 24, 2015
Release # 2015024
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA - On Jan. 23, U.S. and Coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, using attack, bomber, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft to conduct 13 airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and Coalition military forces conducted 13 airstrikes in Iraq, using attack, bomber, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes took place between 8 a.m., Jan. 23, and 8 a.m., Jan. 24, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press release:
* Near Kobani, 12 airstrikes struck eight ISIL tactical units and a large ISIL unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle, an ISIL building, and eight ISIL fighting positions.
* Near Al Hasakah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL mobile oil drilling rig.
* Near Al Qaim, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL weapons production facility.
* Near Mosul, five airstrikes struck two large ISIL units, an ISIL choke point, an ISIL culvert, and four ISIL roads, and destroyed an ISIL culvert and an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Ramadi, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Tal Afar, five airstrikes struck a large ISIL unit, two ISIL tactical units, an ISIL cantonment area, and an ISIL vehicle, and destroyed an ISIL building, six ISIL vehicles, an ISIL bunker, two ISIL shipping containers, and two ISIL checkpoints.
* Near Erbil, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL shipping container, two ISIL vehicles, and three ISIL earth moving vehicles.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.