January 22, 2015
Release # 2015022
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA - On Jan. 21, U.S. and Coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, using bomber, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft to conduct 10 airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and Coalition military forces conducted 21 airstrikes in Iraq, using attack, bomber, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes took place between 8 a.m., Jan. 21, and 8 a.m., Jan. 22, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press release:
* Near Kobani, nine airstrikes struck six ISIL tactical units and destroyed 17 ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Ar Raqqah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL weapons storage facility.
* Near Kirkuk, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Mosul, 16 airstrikes struck two large ISIL units, two ISIL tactical units, an ISIL building, and an ISIL mortar team, and destroyed six ISIL culverts, two ISIL bridges, three ISIL buildings, an ISIL artillery system, 11 ISIL vehicles, an ISIL fighting position, six ISIL staging positions, two ISIL heavy weapons, an ISIL VBIED, and four ISIL armored vehicles.
* Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck a large ISIL unit and an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL mortar position, an ISIL fighting position, and an ISIL armored vehicle.
* Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL VBIED.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.