January 19, 2015
Release # 2015019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA - On Jan. 18, U.S. and Coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, using attack, bomber, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft to conduct 15 airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and Coalition military forces conducted 11 airstrikes in Iraq, using attack, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes took place between 8 a.m., Jan. 18, and 8 a.m., Jan. 19, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press release:
* Near Kobani, 11 airstrikes struck two large ISIL units and eight ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL staging positions, and an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Aleppo, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
* Near Al Hasakah, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and an ISIL artillery system.
* Near Bayji, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and a large ISIL unit and destroyed three ISIL buildings.
* Near Ar Rutbah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL armored vehicle.
* Near Taji, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
* Near Fallujah, an airstrike struck a large ISIL unit.
* Near Ramadi, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and a large ISIL unit and destroyed an ISIL building.
* Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and a large ISIL unit and destroyed two ISL buildings and an ISIL artillery system.
* Near Baghdad, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.