Jan. 19, 2015 —
January 17, 2015
Release # 2015017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA - On Jan. 16, U.S. and Coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, using attack, bomber, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft to conduct 13 airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and Coalition military forces conducted 16 airstrikes in Iraq, using attack, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes took place between 8 a.m., Jan. 16, and 8 a.m., Jan. 17, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press release:
* Near Kobani, 11 airstrikes struck an ISIL tank, three ISIL fighting positions, and four ISIL tactical units, and destroyed an ISIL tank and eight ISIL fighting positions.
* Near Abu Kamal, an airstrike struck an ISIL vehicle and destroyed an ISIL checkpoint.
* Near Dawr az Zawr, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
* Near Hit, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL vehicles.
* Near Al Qaim, two airstrikes struck an ISIL checkpoint and destroyed an ISIL excavator.
* Near Bayji, two airstrikes struck a large ISIL unit and an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed five ISIL buildings.
* Near Taji, five airstrikes struck five ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL buildings.
* Near Al Asad, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
* Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and an ISIL fighting position and destroyed two ISIL buildings.
* Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL fighting position and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.