January 2, 2015
Release # 2015002
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SOUTHWEST ASIA - U.S. and partner nation military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, Jan. 1, using fighter, bomber, and attack aircraft to conduct 12 airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and partner nation military forces conducted 11 airstrikes in Iraq, Jan. 1, using fighter, attack, and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL terrorists.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted since the last press release:
* Near Kobani, nine airstrikes struck a large ISIL unit and an ISIL fighting position and destroyed four ISIL buildings, 10 ISIL fighting positions, and an ISIL tank.
* Near Ar Raqqah, two airstrikes destroyed 20 ISIL armored vehicles.
* Near Al Hasakah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL armored vehicle.
* Near Taji, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
* Near Al Asad, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
* Near Fallujah, three airstrikes struck a large ISIL unit and two ISIL tactical unit and destroyed a mortar system, an ISIL building, and a bunker complex.
* Near Bayji, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building and an ISIL fighting position.
* Near Al Qaim, three airstrikes struck an ISIL shipping container and destroyed an ISIL shipping container, a front end loader, and an armored vehicle.
* Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL weapons cache and a VBIED.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, the region and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.